Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Week 12: Taking risks--humor, exaggeration, juxtaposition

You know that last year of high school, where you dream and imagine about all the great stuff you are gonna do? The world seems open to interpretation and every possible dream you ever imagined is at your fingertips? An then some crotchety old aunt tells you that you aren't going to achieve anything, and you're better off getting a job at the local food mart. You laugh at her and tell her she is bat shit crazy, but then fast forward 10 years, you're broke and working at the food mart and you rent a room from that same aunt. Yea well, my life is nothing like that, I had a dream and I fulfilled it. I unconventionally dreampt of.  becoming a playboy bunny. Ever since I caught my brother shoving those dirty magazines under his bed, I was enthralled by the women between its covers. They were so gorgeous, accomplished and not a hair out of place.

Well, the minute I graduated high school, I set out in my Buick Century headed for the Chicago Playboy headquarters. I had no plan or money, but that was not going to stop me. The headquarters were only about 5 hours south of my high school, and it didn't take long to arrive. Just before I got there, I stopped at a truck stop, swiped some blonde hair dye off the shelf, and proceeded to dye my long black tresses a "golden sunlight" color. The results were fantastic. Reveling in my new found persona, I jumped back into my car, on my way to headquarters.

When I arrived, there was a mad crowd of people out front. I slipped between the screaming throng and proceeded inside. In the foyer, was my idol. Heff himself, with Kendra, Bridget, and Holly draped across his arms. I gulped and straightened my shoulders in an attempt to look confident. Heff glanced over at me, and his crinkly face broke into a grin, so his eyes became squinty little slits. He beckoned me over, and I knew that I had arrived.

1 comment:

  1. Gee, these last three pieces all seem to be fictiony, though how would I know? Fiction fills my head with gloom, at least in Creative NonFiction. I did like the bitchy aunt and the food mart!

    ReplyDelete