Monday, November 4, 2013

Week 9: Prompt 2

You never know what you have until it's gone.

Everyday for breakfast my mom would feed me oatmeal. Everyday since I can remember, I have hated having oatmeal for breakfast. I would take drastic measures to try and avoid her daily serving of oatmeal, but she was smarter than I. She always seemed to be able to see through my little schemes. Eventually, I gave up. However, I dreamed of the day of when I lived on my own, and I could eat whatever I wanted. When I moved out, my first trip was to Walmart to pick up some groceries, and as you can imagine, oatmeal was not amongst them. That first morning, on my own, I sat down to a liberally filled bowl of Cap'n Crunch. After eating a few bites, I found that I missed that damn oatmeal.

1 comment:

  1. Almost right, but the ending is too flat-footed. We see it coming, given the prompt title, and what you give us adds nothing to what we already expect.

    How about a more vignette-y close: "That first morning, on my own, I sat down to a liberally filled bowl of Cap'n Crunch, but after eating a few bites...."

    Or: ''That first morning, on my own, I sat down to a liberally filled bowl of Cap'n Crunch, but after eating a few bites, I found myself unconsciously looking for my mother...and her damned pan of oatmeal."

    ReplyDelete