Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Week 11 Theme--when words mean something beyond themselves

The icy cold wind seemed to almost bite at my exposed skin. I huddled closer within my coat and pulled my hat down farther over my eyes, so all I could see was the ground on which I walked. I knew I was following a straight line since there was a sidewalk beneath my feet. The woman next to me continued to talk, but all I could hear was the whistling of the winds and my own teeth chattering in my mouth. We reached the entrance to the apartment, and quickly hurried upstairs. Even though we had left the heat on, the whole place seemed to echo with a stinging cold. I settled into the couch and started when I heard a crash from the kitchen. Alarmed, I ran to investigate. She sat on the floor, holding her foot and moaning about a stubbed toe. I smiled and kissed her lips. The rooms finally felt warm, the heat must have finally kicked on.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds week 11 to me--cold is cold but not cold; heat ditto.

    ReplyDelete