Friday, September 20, 2013

Week 4: Prompt 3

Wishing? Lying? Dreaming? Dancing? Boxing? Cooking? What is writing like for you?

For me, writing is like a amateur artist trying to paint. The artist has no goal or idea in mind, he simply puts brush to canvas and begins. Slowly, the painting turns in to something, as he becomes inspired by his own strokes and ideas, and a picture begins to form. When the large portion of the painting is done, the artist will go back through and begin the detail work of painting the doorways, windows, wisps of hair, freckles...When the artist is finished, he will look at his work and be pleased/proud with the canvas, even though he knows it will never been seen. I feel like a write backwards, I write the bulk of what I am trying to say, and then fill in the fine details. Usually, I am impressed with the work that I produce. I have never had an issue with putting words to paper, and I tease people who are unable. Mean as I may be, they seek revenge by usually laughing at me when I am stuck in remedial math classes.

2 comments:

  1. Writing is for me too a process of exploration. Sometimes I write a piece in my head before I sit down at the keyboard, but usually, as you say, I have "no goal or idea in mind..simply put brush to canvas and begin." It seems to work!

    I hate it when people stare at a blank screen and say, 'I'm thinking!' Stop thinking! Pick up your brush and begin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, of course, how can I even know what I'm thinking until I start to write!

    ReplyDelete