Monday, September 30, 2013

Week 5: My own narrative

Every girl likes to get a little attention from men, even when she is in a relationship. Usually it is harmless enough, a little flirting here or there, and the girl comes out of it with a higher self esteem. For me, I suck at reading between the lines. I am a sarcastic person by nature, and I usually rub people the wrong way. Sarcasm is also my go-to when I have no idea what to say. Like if some guy says,
"Hey baby you look nice tonight!" and he gives me the bottom to top look over, as disgusted and repulsed as I am, I usually say "O thaaaaaanks...I'm suuuure I look good",making it obvious that I do not agree and I quickly run away.

The real problem I have with flirting is when it is someone that you know and you see on a daily basis. I may initiate the conversation with some sarcasm, not trying to flirt, and before I know it the guy is hitting on me. I usually run away as fast as I can.For the simple reason that I am in a relationship and don't need to lead anyone on or give them the wrong idea.

The other day at work I was having a conversation with some co-workers and the football game was on behind them. I began to act out the football game just to garnish some laughs. Since I was wearing the Tom Brady jersey, I felt like it was apropos. This prompted my coworker to say,

"You make that jersey look good" with a seductive smile.

Even though I could not see my face, I am sure it turned red and a flicker of panic went through my eyes. I quickly recovered and went to my go-to.

"O I'm sure I look goood.."
I half turned to walk away before the conversation got more awkward, only to hear
"No i'm serious it looks really good, and that skirt looks good on you too"

I threw him a smile and red faced, I practically ran to the service bar to hide. Looking back, I have come up with many witty things I could have said and I keep rehashing the conversation in my head. Why? I don't know. I like the attention, and like to be told I am good looking, but now I am not really sure what to say when I see this person again. Since I am so bad at taking a compliment I probably make people think that I think I am dowdy and plain by acting like I never believe them. Perhaps my go-to should just be a simple "thanks" and a smile, and I will cross my fingers behind my back that the conversation ends there.

1 comment:

  1. Almost! You've set up a problem--the flirting problem--and then give us a nice example, but the narrative ends with a belly flop, with you running and hiding.

    Well, ok, I understand that's what actually happened, and I don't want you to write fiction. But it's not fiction to tell us some of those witty things you mention in the last graf or how the scenarios play out when you rehash the conversation. Something along those lines might have made a stronger close.

    ReplyDelete