Monday, November 4, 2013

Week 10: Prompt 3

Our typical Sunday consisted of watching tv and cuddling on the couch. As I flip through the channels trying to find our favorite show, The Walking Dead, I glance at you. You are texting, so immersed in your phone you don't even notice my gaze. I squint my eyes and make out the name of your texting recipient. It says nicole. My breath catches in my throat, but I keep quiet. I peel my eyes from your phone and look at the tv and gently call your attention to our show. You pretend to put the phone away, but I know better. That night, as you sleep next to me, gently snoring, I stew in anger. You leave for work the next day and I pretend to be asleep, you don't even try to kiss me goodbye. The minute your car leaves the driveway, I hop out of bed and quickly pack my things into my car. Then I wait for you to return, relishing the words I will say. I hear the car door slam and the crunch of your boots across the gravel driveway, your key scrapes as you unlock the door. You enter the apartment and I hear you swear and your pace quickens as you enter the bedroom. Your eyes sweep around, listing all of the things that are missing from the room. Finally your gaze settles on me. "You said you would always be faithful but, but, how was I supposed to know that you meant not faithful to me but to her?"

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, there's always a Nicole! That bitch!

    This vignette certainly works on its own terms, but I don't know how to argue it as a week 10 piece. Instead of distance, it's as in your face as a custard pie slammed there by a clown!

    Or wait, wait--that second person 'you' throughout--that is a distancing idea. This is like a letter to someone in the hell the writer has sent him to. Sure! That works!

    ReplyDelete