Thursday, October 10, 2013

Week 6 Theme: Place

For some, a childhood home brings about many nostalgic memories. For me, my childhood home was overshadowed by the misery that dwelled within that home. Whenever I was able, I would escape and run outside to pass the time. Since I was so imaginative, I would create places, friends, and story lines all over my parents 16 acre property.

My proudest invention to date is the S.B.G.M also known as the Small But Good Mall. This was my playhouse turned store that was littered with shelves of knick knacks and hand made objects, I even had acquired a receipt book and cash register at the Kiwanis Auction. My little playhouse was not very big and only a 5 year old could stand up straight in it, but I played in that little store for years. Over the years I collected many different objects to enhance the look of my store. There was a open/close sign, an ink stamp with our logo that went on the outside of the shopping bags, and a drive thru option for convenience for the busy person on the go. My siblings have since reverted it back to a playhouse, and the store items are stuffed in a corner.

My other escape was a pair of pine trees that were probably about 12 feet tall, and they had grown very close together. The bottom branches didn't start until about 4 feet up, so I had a very small crawlspace of an area that I called my lab tree. Here, I would be an evil scientist, afflicting my evil ways on anyone who dared enter. The only thing that dared enter were fire ants, and I had a hell of a time experimenting on which type of solution ants would die in quicker. I tried mud, bubble solution, water, and a concoction of sap and other things lying around my "lab". I determined that the viscosity of bubble solution was the winner. The mud and the concoction were too hard to see into.

1 comment:

  1. The SBGM paragraph is wonderful! Funny, sweet, and sad, all in one.

    This feels like it needs some sort of short wrap-up paragraph, something to match up the very intriguing graf 1. But that graf 2--what a keeper that is!

    ReplyDelete