Friday, September 13, 2013

Week 3 Theme: scene-setting and dialogue

Dialogue of my morning:

I opened my eyes and slowly stretched my arms and inhaled deeply. I noticed that I was in bed alone, except for my puppy, who laid at the foot of the bed looking sad and melancholy. I sat up and began to pet her.

"Hi baby girl.." I said.

She looked up at me with her big brown eyes and received the petting, when I stopped she looked disappointed in my effort. I walked into my kitchen and saw that my boyfriend was already making his lunch for work. 

"Good Morning.." I said between yawns.

"Well, look who finally decided to get up?"

I gave him, what I hoped, was a scathing glare and turned on my heel towards the fridge. He laughed and continued to make his sandwich. I grabbed the milk, a bowl, and my good ol' cap'n crunch and sat at the table quietly eating my cereal. By now my boyfriend had joined me at the table, and while he ate he thumbed through the news on his phone.

"Hey, did you know that they are making a Saul Goodman spin-off show?"
(For those of you that do not watch the AWESOME tv shows, that is a reference to Breaking Bad)

"Ya", my voice dripping with sarcasm "That's been in the workings for a while, like 2 or 3 months..."

"Oh, I didn't realize"

"Yea, all the skeptics think that since it is a pre-quel show, that means Saul is gonna get killed off in the end of this season of Breaking Bad. So they would HAVE to go back to the beginning since continuing the show wouldn't be an option."

By now I had finished my cereal and I got up to put the dish in the sink, then clean up my boyfriends lunch making stuff that had been left on the counter. He went to go start his car, then he came back inside. The puppy met him at the door, wiggling her tail and doing her "Jelly Bean/Kidney Bean dance". He petted her briefly and met me in the kitchen to grab his lunch and say good-bye.

"Am I gonna see you on my lunch?"

"Yea, I should be able to meet you, I gotta knock out all my English homework this morning though"

"OK, well let me know what you decide to do"

"Oh, don't worry, I will meet you on your lunch", I handed him his lunch box and gave him a kiss, and said,

"Have a good day, babe...I love you!"

"I love you too"





1 comment:

  1. "I gotta knock out all my English homework this morning though" Hmm, if you were less worried about a former hs chemistry teacher with the initials WW, you could have that English teacher's work all ready to go!

    I don't think 'Let's Call Saul' will ever work. Saul is just a comedy note in a show not really famed for light-heartedness (except for its show titles--who can ever forget titles like 'Face Off.' Hah, double meaning!) But I don't think his sleaze can power a series.

    Now, enough with BB and on to TS. Using italics for dialogue is a fine and useful tradition. Nice thing is that the italics make quotation marks unnecessary, so the page has a good clean look.

    I enjoyed the slice of life scene, the dialogue, the Capn Crunch, and the kidney bean/jelly bean description of the pup--not sure that a non-dog person could get it, but I am the English teacher with five dogs.

    ReplyDelete