Friday, September 6, 2013

Week 2: Prompt 1

The stuff I've collected over the years in my little box/bureau drawer/keepsake chest marks every step of my way.

I have never really traveled much, but I always wanted too. I think that the farthest that I have gone (in the US) is to Chicago, IL, and Prince Edward Island (Canada). This is a fairly small radius compared to the size of the earth. However, since I could talk/walk, I have always collected something from my travels, a smushed penny. Each place that my family and I went always had one of those crank machines. I would slways hurry over, pay $0.51 and out would pop a flattened penny, with a imprint of the chosen design. My keepsake box is overfilling with the buggers. It's become an addiction actually, I see one of those machines and I just NEED to insert a penny, and crank the handle. Sometimes, it is fun to reminisce over these pennies and remember all the places that I have gone and seen. Other times, it just makes me gloomy that I am still stuck in Bangor, and I have yet to see the world.

1 comment:

  1. I guess I just haven't lived enough because I had to go googling to

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elongated_coin

    to figure out what this was all about!

    :)

    As hobbies go, it sounds like more fun than stamps, less dangerous than antique firearms, but, of course, as you make clear, also less fun than actually going to the places that have the machines!

    ReplyDelete