Friday, September 13, 2013

Prompt 3: Setting the Scene

I sat in a Starbuck's cafe' sipping my Frappachino. I sat on the couch in front of the warm, crackling, fake fire. To my right, a few mid-20 somethings sat with their laptops working on homework. One girl was not properly dressed, you would have thought that it was mid-December. She wore a puffy jacket with a scarf wrapped tightly around her neck, a hot cup between her hands as she blew into it to cool it. I smirked at her and figured she must be a tourist. I hate tourists. To my left, was a business man slouched in a over-sized leather chair. He had 2 steaming cups next to him as he scrolled though his phone. In my past time, I like to speculate on people. I guessed that this man was waiting for his girlfriend/wife, the way he was practically giggling into his phone was a dead give away to me. I squinted to see if I could notice a ring. Yep, there was one. He was waiting for his girlfriend. dirty bastard, I thought. My double chocolate chip frappachino with a shot of peppermint and long ago run out, I sighed and debated buying another one. I glanced at the calorie count of the frappachino, I winced and decided that another one was not needed. As I walked to my car, a pretty, youngish woman whisked by me. I bet that's the girlfriend I thought, and laughed out loud. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice people watching! I particularly like the speculation about Mr Horndog and his gf. YOu do nice thumbnail sketches of everyone, including yourself by describing that drink--I'm not sure I've ever actually been in a Starbucks.... Maybe years ago in London, but the menu was way too scary for me, so I just got my usual double espresso.

    The only thing I would not use is; "In my past time, I like to speculate on people. " We can see that!

    ReplyDelete