Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Week 1 Pt 3: Alone in a quiet room. What do you see?

Alone in a quiet room. What do you see?

Directly out of my window, I see trees and forest. My deck with its pitiful grill and faded beach umbrella interrupt the green landscape. The deck is hardly used and is covered with pine needles, none of which I feel compelled to sweep up. Behind the languid outdoor furniture, is a dead tree on my neighbor's property line. This tree is a source of contention, since a woodpecker hollows it out each morning at the crack of dawn. I wish to remove the tree or the woodpecker, either would solve my sleep issues. As I continue to sit here and stare out of my window, the sun begins to peek through the trees, the grey sky is replaced with a burning glow and bright piercing sun shines amongst the branches. My puppy must have noticed the sunshine, she is quietly begging to go outside, I can't resist her face. 

1 comment:

  1. I like how many little sidepaths you take with a simple physical description: the noisy woodpecker, the uncooperative (?) neighbor, the unused deck, the pitiful grill (that got a smile from me), the pine needles, the puppy....

    All those things show you as a writer who understands that if you look at anything ordinary long and hard enough, you can find something to say about it that will hold a reader's attention--as you did here with mine.

    ReplyDelete