Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Week 1 Pt 3: Alone in a quiet room. Listen. What do you hear?

Alone in a quiet room. Listen. What do you hear? 

I hear my dog breathing, the quiet rise and fall of her chest. The slight snore escaping from her lips as she sometime inhales too deeply and must force the extra air out. I hear the rustling of the wildlife out of the window, a woodpecker taps noisily at a tree. I cringe and curse at the woodpecker daily, he always begins his work at the crack of dawn. I hear my cat walking across the wooden floor of my house. His double paws and double claws click off the wood. Faintly, I hear the sound of traffic as they quickly whiz by, with no heed to the traffic signs. The sound of my leg interrupts me, I have restless leg syndrome and the tapping against my desk in distracting to my thoughts. No my cat is scratching at my door. Even though most cats are predominately independent, I think I got stuck with the most clingy. 

1 comment:

  1. That woodpecker again!

    :)

    I like very much how you're giving a second ride to things already familiar to the reader: restless leg, puppy, woodpecker, and even the heedless traffic sort of ties in with your piece on what's really happening in the world out there beyond your deck and beyond your control.

    So, you do a nice job in these first two pieces at keeping it close to home and offering detail and close observation, which is what this week is all about.

    ReplyDelete