Thursday, August 29, 2013

Week 1 Pt 2: Thursday

Today is my sister's 13th birthday. Thirteen is a tender age where most kids are excited about having the word "teen" in their age and where their attitude automatically changes to disdainful and dripping with sarcasm. A simple request from a parent can turn into a long overdrawn fight. At this age, boys and girls begin to discover that cooties do not exist, and having a boyfriend, nice clothes, and make-up make you popular. My sister will never experience any of those things. My mother will never tell her that she needs to go change out of that short skirt, or that her makeup is too dark. My sister will never have her first kiss, first boyfriend, get married, or buy a house. Her and I will never stay up all night at sleepovers and discuss boys. I will never get to take her shopping or do her hair for prom. Today is my sister's birthday, instead of celebrating with candles, cake, and family; I decorate her headstone with flowers, and tell her that I love her.

1 comment:

  1. Very powerful, very affecting--just read it out loud to my wife. Both ends of this--what a teen's life is like and what your family and your sister will never have--are done with restraint but feeling, and I could not possibly have any suggestions or advice about the writing here at all.

    ReplyDelete